At: Virginia Tech
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Position: Data Engineer
About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Office of Academic Decision Support is looking for a data engineer to help design and build data pipelines and data systems to support the development of data products and solutions that will help decision makers at all levels of the institution gain necessary insights to improve the – services, student and faculty experience, resource management, and institutional effectiveness. We are looking for professionals who are,
- Experienced data pipeline developers with a proven track-record of developing, deploying, and optimizing data systems to support analytics from the ground up
- Data and tech savvy
- Innately curious and fast learners
- Self-motivated team players with a drive to get things done
- Design, develop, scale, and maintain data pipelines that extract, load, transform, and integrate data from wide variety of data sources to provide uniform view.
- Automate and optimize the data pipelines to improve productivity, processing performance and reliability, and minimize error-prone processes.
- Monitor data consumption patterns and ensure responsible use of provisioned data by the data consumers.
- Collaborate with data stewards and data governance teams to implement the data governance and compliance best practices.
- Support data scientists and data analysts by optimizing data management and delivery processes.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Analytics/Data Science, Physics, Mathematics, Information Systems, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines.
- Experience in extracting, processing, curating, integrating, and analyzing data using Python, Spark, SQL
- Hands on experience with AWS services – Kinesis, S3, Glue, Lambda, Cloudformation, RDS, EC2, EMR or HDFS, Hadoop Yarn, Hbase, Hive, Pig
- Hands on experience in ELT/ETL and dimensional data modeling
- Proficiency in Python and at least one SQL language such as T-SQL or PL/SQL
- Excellent knowledge of relational and non-relational database systems
- Ability to think creatively, and solve problems
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and dynamic work environment
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Experience in building production data pipelines using Python, SQL, Spark and AWS environment (Kinesis, S3, Glue, Lambda, Cloudformation, RDS) or HDFS (Hadoop Yarn, Hbase, Hive, Pig)
- Strong programming experience in Python, Spark, Scala
- Experience in ETL/ELT and dimensional data modeling
- Experience in working with relational/non-relational databases and advanced SQL/NoSQL scripting
- Familiarity with data pipeline and workflow management tools such as Airflow, AWS Step functions, Nifi
Must have a conviction check: Yes
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity and, in that spirit, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, and people with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact University ADA services at (540) 231-9331, and TTY number: (800) 828-1120 by the application deadline.
How to Apply for this Job:
Interested candidates should apply online at www.jobs.vt.edu (posting number AP0190104 ) and include a letter of application that addresses qualifications for and interest in the position along with a comprehensive curriculum vita and contact information for three references.
For further information, please contact Abhay Joshi, Director, Academic Data Analysis and Visualization, firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-239-9781.
Review of materials begins on April 22, 2019.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Academic Year or Calendar Year: Calendar Year
Percent Employment: Full-time
Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience
Department: Academic Decision Support Services
Location Zip Code: 24061
Work Schedule: M-F 8-5
Review Begin Date:04/22/2019
Restricted to university employees only? No
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Quick Link: http://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/96257