At: U. of Tulsa, Collins College of Business
Location: Tulsa, OK
Position: Assistant/Associate Professor of Business Analytics
The University of Tulsa’s Collins College of Business seeks candidates to fill a full-time faculty position in business analytics starting August 15, 2018. The successful applicant will teach face-to-face and online courses in the College’s undergraduate and graduate business analytics and related programs, develop a productive research program in the expanding field of Big Data analytics, broadly defined, and engage in appropriate professional and service activities.
Candidates should possess a Ph.D. degree in a discipline directly related to data analytics (e.g., data management/modeling, predictive analytics, data science, statistics, information science, information systems) from an AACSB accredited university. While ABD’s close to completion will be considered, preference will be given to candidates who have completed all requirements for the Ph.D., have an established record of quality teaching and research, and have teaching experience using the latest instructional technology. Individuals with one or more post-baccalaureate degrees and significant experience leading and managing analytics organizations at the executive level will also be considered.
Candidates must also:
- Demonstrate experience and expertise in the application of data analytics to contemporary business problems
- Show engagement with the business analytics community
- Articulate how digital innovation and data analysis can provide insights and inform solutions in one or more application fields (e.g., health care, energy, fraud detection, retailing, and insurance).
- Have outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strictly adhere to ethical business standards
- Possess a student-focused orientation and spirit of collegiality that is necessary for success in an academic work environment
In addition, the following skillset is highly desirable:
- A professional and academic specialty in one or more of the following: data mining, business intelligence, decision support systems, cloud computing, data visualization / graphics, multivariate and/or Bayesian statistics, computer simulation and modeling, and Big Data analytics
- Demonstrated ability to employ one or more data analytics tools to solve business and industry problems
- Experience in collecting, organizing, managing and extracting useful decision making information from massive complex databases
- Competency in one or more scripting languages or programming frameworks (e.g., R, SAS, SQL, Python, Hadoop, Java, MatLab, Julia) used in data analytics
- Experience with corporate data management platforms (SAP, Oracle, etc.) and analytics tools (Spotfire, Tableau, Pentaho, etc.)
Consistent with the expectations of a fully-accredited, nationally-ranked College of Business, the successful applicant will be expected to pursue an active program of research and outreach in her/his area of specialization leading to publications and industry recognition, and to engage in service activities for the University, profession, and community. Excellent opportunities exist to collaborate with existing analytics faculty within the Collins College of Business and across the University of Tulsa, and with individuals connected to the numerous local and state businesses and organizations engaged in analytics activities.
See here for more on The College, University, and Local Community.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The University of Tulsa is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service.
Candidates should submit an application package that contains (1) a letter of interest that includes a statement of teaching philosophy and practice, a brief explanation of prior and proposed research objectives, and a description of the ways in which the candidate’s background aligns with, complements, or expands on the existing goals and objectives of the School, (2) copies of applicable student / course evaluations, (3) current resume or curriculum vita, and (4) the names and contact information for three references. Application materials should be sent to:
Professor Tim Coburn, Search Chair
Business Analytics Faculty Search Committee
201 Helmerich Hall
The University of Tulsa
800 S Tucker Dr
Tulsa, OK 74104