At: Southern California Edison
Location: Rosemead, CA
Position: Sr. Data Scientist
To apply please click here.
You’re not some mythical unicorn... but you are a special breed. And you actually do exist.
You’re part wrangler, part soothsayer. You understand business and its strategic problems. You ask the right questions. You know how to use technology along with data science to solve problems. And you want your work to make a difference in the world.
You will know how to use your unique gifts to help one of the largest energy companies in the country create a pathway to fight climate change and improve air quality.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will help us discover the hidden information in vast amounts of data, and help make smart decisions to inform and guide Southern California Edison’s business decisions surrounding carbon-free energy. You’ll create analytical models utilizing tools like R and Python, do statistical analysis, leverage machine learning and build high-quality prediction systems. And you’ll be able to marry all of this insanely cool know-how with our business strategies.
As part of SCE’s newly formed Digital Center of Excellence, your influence extends well beyond this one department. Your analytic skills will help shape our blueprint for things like an electric grid supplied by 80 percent carbon-free energy, and putting more than 7 million electric vehicles on California roads.
Granted, you will be smart. But you also will be a creative thinker – one who’s just itching to propose innovative ways to use data. And you will apply a healthy skepticism of existing assumptions to uncover hidden solutions to some of the challenges we might be facing. What’s more, you know how to communicate clearly, even to non-technical folks... and understand why it’s important.
And before we forget... you’ll be working with and supported by a top-notch team. So working well with and appreciating others is non-negotiable.
Detailed stuff you will be doing...
- Exploring, modeling, mining, and experimenting with data to discover insights
- Using statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques
- Partner with business functions to solve critical business issues and identify opportunities for optimization
- Data selection and preparation for acquisition, extraction, transformation, management, and manipulation of large and complex data sets for specific use cases
- Performing highly-sophisticated data manipulation and analytics and translate insights into actionable recommendations
- Workingclosely with designers, engineers and subject matter experts
- Providethought-provoking ideas, perspectives, and research around methods, techniques and algorithms to improve decision making
Qualifications you need...
You have a degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Information Sciences (e.g., Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Sciences, Informatics) or other related field. In addition, you have 5+ years of experience as a Data Scientist; hopefully with a proven track record of leveraging analytics and big data to drive significant business impact. You have 8+ years of experience with data analytics, computational statistics or similar data mining work functions. You are proficient inPython, Perl, Java or other similar scripting language. You consider yourself an expert in predictive modeling and analysis, predictive algorithm development, machine learning algorithms, and data visualization solutions. And you have experience using statistical packages such as SAS or R, statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting & predictive analytics, multivariate testing, or optimization algorithms.
Whew, that’s a lot, huh? We weren’t kidding when we said you were a special breed ☺.
Other stuff you should also have...
- MS or PhD in Operations Research, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or related fields
- Knowledge of data modeling, data integration, and data life cycle management
- Experience in data mining, large-scale data acquisition, transformation and cleaning
- Expertise with Hadoop ecosystem (Hive, HBase, Pig, Spark SQL, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with the following:
- Database technologies (Hadoop, SAP Hana, Oracle/Oracle Spatial and/or MS SQL Server
- NoSQL database technologies
- Cloud computing, preferably with Microsoft Azure (machine learning, cognitive services, Cosmo DB, etc.)
You should know...
- Relocation is available for this position, and who wouldn’t want to live in sunny Southern California?
- You must be legally authorized to work directly as employee for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.