Location: Oakland, CA
Position: Sr Scientist - Search, Information Retrieval & Recommendation Systems
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora!
SiriusXM and Pandora have joined together to create the world’s largest audio entertainment company. Together, we are uniquely positioned to lead a new era of audio entertainment by delivering the most compelling subscription and ad-supported audio experiences to millions of listeners – in the car, at home and on the go. Our talent, content, technology and innovation continue to be at the forefront, and we want you to be a part of it! Check out our current openings below and at www.SiriusXM.com/careers.
As a Scientist on the Personalization and Discovery team, you’ll help us change the way people listen. You will be at the center of the next generation audio service creation, utilizing advanced algorithms to bring a delightful and personalized listening experiences that is easy to access. For this role, we are looking for a senior scientist who is experienced with applied machine learning in information retrieval, natural language processing or recommendation systems, to join a strong team of scientists with diverse expertise to create high impact product features.
- Design and develop innovative solutions to improve search relevance and ranking on music/podcast search and voice enabled search
- Contribute to research, prototype and engineering of Pandora’s personalized recommendation and discovery engine
- Use NLP/NLU and machine learning techniques to improve and extend our system capabilities
- Communicate effectively with product and engineering teams and dive into production engineering systems
- PhD in a quantitative field with working knowledge of machine learning and computer science
- Strong background in search relevance and ranking, information retrieval, NLP/NLU, or recommendation systems, as well as familiarity with current research in one or more of these areas
- Experience in ML model building in Python and manipulating large scale datasets in Hive and/or Spark
- Publications in communities such as SIGIR, Recsys, WWW, WSDM, KDD, AAAI, NAACL, EMNLP, or related conferences and journals
- Experience with voice, dialog, speech/linguistics activation systems
- Proficiency in Java or another OO language
- 1-3 years of related industry experience
Pandora is committed to diversity in its workforce. Pandora is an equal employment employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, veteran or disability status. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pandora is also a VEVRAA federal contractor. Pandora requests priority referrals of protected veterans from each ESDS, as required by regulation.
If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to apply for a position, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com. This email box is designed to assist job seekers who require a reasonable accommodation to the application process. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
In your email, please include the following:
The specific accommodation requested to complete the employment application process.
The location or office to which you would like to apply.
The subject of the email should read "Request for Reasonable Accommodation".