At: Bank of Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Position: Data Scientist
Take a central role
Are you passionate about advanced analytics and Big Data? Do you know how to ask the right questions? Are you proficient in technical/scientific computing? Do you jump at the chance to experiment with new tools? Do you want to have a significant impact on the financial well-being of all Canadians? Then we want you to Take a Central role!
Be part of an exciting and challenging opportunity by joining an emerging analytics community that is helping the Bank’s ability to understand the Canadian economy better and stay abreast of developments in the fields of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning.
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” We are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Did you know?
The Bank recently partnered with the Creative Destruction Lab (CDL) and created thePartnerships in Innovation and Technology Program (PIVOT) both of which will help us deepen our knowledge of leading Machine Learning and AI technologies.
About the position
These Data Scientist positions sit within the Digital Economy and Advanced Analytics Division (DEAA) in the Canadian Economic Analysis Department (CEA). The team plays a key role in the evolution of the use of advanced analytics methods and technologies in CEA and the Bank.
The range of work we do is very diverse. You will partner with colleagues in CEA, with other departments within the Bank and external organizations to tackle challenging problems using data-driven approaches and sophisticated mathematical and statistical modelling techniques. Every single day is different, bringing new and exciting challenges.
Your future responsibilities
Your main role will be leading data science projects focusing on text analytics and agent-based modelling. By discovering hidden analytical treasures within vast amounts of data, you will help economist better understand the economy.
You will set priorities and will be accountable for developing, implementing and evaluating data-driven solutions to key policy and research questions. To do so, you will be using big data technologies (e.g., Apache Spark, ElasticSearch and High-Performance Computing) advanced statistical techniques, machine learning algorithms, and other numerical methods. You will have access to large structured and unstructured data from a variety of internal and external sources, and tools like R, Python or Julia to help cultivate a culture of using open source software.
As a subject matter expert, you will be collaborating on projects that will deliver modern tools to make the most of our data, change the way we work and enable the pursuit of new kinds of problems that couldn’t be addressed by traditional tools.
By using your network and resources in the data science community, you will stay current on new approaches and developments in the field. While promoting the best methodological practices in handling and analyzing large and unconventional datasets, you will further develop the analytical capabilities of the Bank.
Your education and experience
- a completed master’s degree in a technical discipline, such as computer science/engineering (with math/stats background) or mathematics/statistics (with computational background) and two years of recent relevant experience
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- knowledge of agent-based modelling and/or text analytics
Your knowledge and skills
- experience leading short (1 to 3 months) and medium-term projects (6 to 18 months) projects;
- excellent analytical, research and problem-solving skills;
- proficient in using one or more statistical or technical programming languages (i.e., Python (SciPy)/R/Julia)
- experience using scripting language for collecting, organizing, manipulating data;
- excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly;
- ability to organize work effectively.
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Starting salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $79,900 to $93,200 (job grade 16)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension
- As part of the career progression in this position, it is possible to progress to a role with an expanded scope at a higher job grade, and a corresponding salary increase, if specific criteria are met.
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Reliability
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.