Company: American Family Insurance
Location: Madison, WI
Position: Director, Data Science & Analytics
Apply online or email email@example.com.
At American Family Insurance, we’re driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R5833 Data Science & Analytics Director (Open)
This position is responsible for oversight and strategic direction of advanced analytics, including predictive modeling, that drive business performance consistent with company goals and objectives. Works with internal business partners to understand and validate scope of advanced analytics projects and directs projects teams to support those projects. Collaborates within the division and cross-divisionally to develop and integrate statistical models into various processes. Oversees research of new and innovative analytic tools and techniques. Monitors industry trends in analytics and investigates new concepts, ideas, and data sources.
- MS degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Engineering Actuarial Science or related field or equivalent designation, such as Fellowship of the Casualty Actuarial Society.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic partnerships.
- Demonstrated ability to identify potential issues, and to proactively work to the mitigation of those issues.
- Demonstrated experience communicating business implications of complex data relationships and results of statistical models to multiple business partners.
- Demonstrated experience formulating, approaching, and solving problems in massive, complex datasets.
- Demonstrated experience in public speaking and use of appropriate presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience interfacing with business clients and driving solution discussions with both IT and business stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience performing advanced statistical analysis, including generalized linear models, decision trees, neural networks, etc., to discover business insights and develop predictive models.
- Demonstrated experience with statistical and modeling software tools, such as SAS or R.
- Demonstrated management or leadership experience.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of mathematical modeling and research.
- This position requires travel up to 10% of the time.
Additional Job Information:
Preferred candidate will have a MS or PhD and bring deep data science and leadership experience, with the ability to lead strategy, architecture, development and integration of advanced analytics, driving business impact across the organization.
Candidate will demonstrate good versatility, serving as both strong internal business partner and divisional leader, as well as a key technical advisor for the team across a wide spectrum of machine learning and statistical techniques.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks.
Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions.
Relocation assistance is available.
Candidates selected for an interview with the hiring manager will be asked to complete a leadership skills assessment.
Advanced Analytics Oversight (40%)
- Provides oversight and direction for the design, development, and evaluation of predictive models and advanced algorithms that lead to business solutions.
- Directs the most complex and vital analytics work critical to the organization.
- Oversees advanced exploratory analytics that produce a variety of business solutions.
- Conducts peer review on technical aspects of projects.
- Partners with business areas (Commercial Lab, EDM, IS, etc.) on data innovation.
Portfolio Strategy and Management (25%)
- Collaborates with Strategic Data & Analytics Vice President as well as business partners internal and external to the division to develop and execute advanced analytics strategy and project portfolio.
- Leverages business acumen and domain expertise in directing advanced analytics strategy and application.
- Aligns plans to divisional and corporate objectives/goals and integrates within the corporate planning cycle.
- Monitors and analyzes advanced analytics resources. Assesses needs and appropriately allocates resources to priorities and initiatives.
- Works with divisional management to improve work processes that impact work environment and divisional resources.
- Provides overall portfolio/project management oversight and direction for a variety of advanced analytics project. Oversees measurement, monitoring and reporting of project progress and resource utilization. Manages project resources to ensure timely delivery of projects consistent with divisional goals and objectives.
- Coordinates with business partners (Analytics Strategy, etc.) on knowledge management and participates in business area meetings. Maintains holistic view of the business. Ensures rapid delivery and execution of insights derived from data analytics into the organization.
Analytic Tools and Techniques Research Oversight (15%)
- Sets the vision for the use of new and innovative tools and technology.
- Maintains and fosters an industry awareness of new developments in analytics techniques and tools, and ensures quick execution in their use within the department.
- Interfaces with Enterprise Data Management (EDM) and Information Services (IS) on evolving technological and data needs and requirements.
Strategies Linked to the Division's Business Goals/Results (10%)
- Establishes, communicates, and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
- Participates as a member of the Management Team.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family's business environments, corporate culture, and structure to support key decision-making.
Management/Leadership for Department or Unit (10%)
- Manages direct reports, systems, and projects to achieve department/unit goals in accordance with Company policies and practices.
- Prepares and analyzes department/unit plans and reports.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance assessments, and establishing performance & development plans.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!